These are the things that may happen if there’s no simple, effective means for defining and documenting project roles and responsibilities.
If you’re a project manager, familiarizing yourself with the ARIES Matrix—a variant of the RACI (Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed) Matrix—could increase your chances of completing your project.
ARIES Matrix is a responsibility assignment matrix (RAM):
Accountable – Person accountable for signing off the work (max. 1)
Responsible – Person responsible for doing the work
Informed – Person(s) informed of work progress/completion
Expert – Person(s) consulted before and during a task
Support – Person(s) supported to complete a task
How the ARIES Matrix works?
- Download the FREE ARIES Matrix Microsoft Excel file template here.
- List down all the tasks under the ‘Task Description’ column.
- List down the names of the members of your team under the ‘Roles’ column.
- Assign who’s Accountable, Responsible, Informed, Expert, Support for a particular task.
Take note of the following:
- There should be only one person accountable for a task.
- The more the messier. So avoid assigning more than two persons responsible.
- For a task, a person may be accountable and responsible at the same time.
I provided generic examples in the FREE ARIES Matrix MS-Excel file template you can follow, and make the most out of this powerful project management tool.
Leave your reply in the comments.